Pemaquid Point Light, Maine
The light at Pemaquid was originally built during the presidency of John Quincy Adams, in 1827, at a cost of $2,800. Faulty construction was blamed for the quick deterioration of the tower, which was rebuilt with double walls in 1835. The tower is only 38 ft tall, but its placement on a rock ledge gives the light a 79 ft. focal plane. Flashing a white light every 6 seconds, Pemaquid’s fourth-order fresnel is visible for 14 miles.